Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Saying the Final Goodbye; Coco's Journey; Chapter 27

By Larry Puls @larrypulsauthor

Alone, Ovarian Cancer, Death
Jack saw his children out and tried to sleep, though that needed task was simply not possible. In the dark room listening to the clock, he watched her and willed her to sleep. Please give me another day. Each long breath she took and each slight turn she managed, he drew closer to her side.

At three in the morning, everything changed. 

Marcia’s breathing began to slow. Each breath appeared more labored. Repositioning himself on the side of her bed, he studied what was happening. By four in the morning, the color of his wife’s face transformed from a slight dash of pink to consuming gray. Death was no longer at the door. It was barging in, slithering into the room. Her soul was being called home. He wanted to protect her, but what could he offer? Fighting God was not an option. His children needed to be called, but it was too late for that now. Climbing into Marcia’s bed and sharing the waning moments of her life was all he could think to do. Delicately he placed his arm around her side and caressed her for what would be the final time.

Then it began—the final agony and pain.

His silent misery could not be assuaged. Her breathing became more erratic; longer intervals appeared between each successive gasp. Now convinced he was running out of time, he whispered into her ear, “I love you.” His voice cracked, but no one else heard it. She breathed one last breath that was followed by deathly silence. Almost immediately her body began to turn cold. The IV pump began to beep. His beloved wife was gone. Death became real. Pain like he had never known engulfed him.

With her death, Jack Covington was completely broken. Half of him died that night.

Don't Miss the Previous Chapters




                                                           ~~~

I wanted to take this moment to thank all of you who have followed my blog. As we are closing in on the publication of my first novel (and I am working hard on my second), I am going to make some blog changes. The first visible change will be moving from blog posts alone to a newsletter. There will likely be one new installment of Coco's Journey every four weeks and then otherwise there will be newsletters.

About? 

Over this last seven to eight years of writing at night, on vacation, on Saturdays, in my sleep, between guitar licks, and the like, it is time I write down reflections about this adventure (or misadventure)--if nothing else, to help me sort it out😕. And it's just possible that there are those of you out there who are curious about why writers write. Or maybe you have other questions about whether or not writers ever get discouraged or want to give up?

My answers on that and other questions will come in the following weeks and months. And maybe in time, when I pen my thoughts, you will offer me your thoughts. I certainly hope you do. And along those lines, if you ever have an inquiry, send it to me, and I may just attempt an answer.

In short, writing for me is summed up like this in my dream world: It is an insatiable passion for divulging a story embedded in one's soul, where good triumphs over evil--or forgiveness is found--or hopes are realized--or conflict is resolved--or... 

So I hope you will continue to follow along with me on this road as I attempt to shed light on a writer's life--or in my case--a wannabe writer's life. Please encourage others to join us. 

And thank you for all who have encouraged me through my days of doubt. God bless you. 

LP

No comments:

Post a Comment