Pages

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

A Christmas Story; Medical Training

by Larry Puls @larrypulsauthor

Christmas, Medical Education, Cancer
Our plane began its descent on the way to our destination. It was the week before Christmas and I was amazingly, or maybe stupidly, flying to my eighth interview in a short three months--yet another chance at landing a training fellowship. My wife, patient as she was, realized we had very little money left from all my traveling. Therefore, this trip was my Christmas present, the price required for me to have a shot at my dream.

Aa a Texan flying to New York, one can only imagine the thoughts swirling about in my mind, heading to such a faraway place in search of an elusive job. And yet there I was, flying to this interview, actually considering transplanting my wife and two young children to this cold climate—all in the name of my education.

Sitting on that plane that night, jetting across the sky, the salient fact that Christmas was just days away was taunting my soul. Lights, trees, presents, and my children's dreams were calling me, no beckoning me, to turn around and go home. And oh how I wished I could. But unfortunately I needed to act on this one final task prior to the glorious celebration.

Feeling somewhat melancholy about traveling away from my family, I was startled when the woman seated next to me engaged me in a conversation. Maybe she perceived some need in me to talk. Whatever it was, she struck up a dialogue about life and about Christmas. Eventually, she asked me the reason I was traveling to New York, especially during a time such as this. I had to shake my head at that query, as I was asking myself the same question. Answering her, I offered a tiny glimpse of my dream. In that short exchange, she learned of course, that her hometown was about to become the final destination of my long interview list. When I finished telling her my story, a thought seemed to cross her mind as her eyes lit up. And with that, she launched into painting a picturesque and descriptive view of everything that encapsulated the place she lovingly called home.

Winding up her beautiful panorama of New York's Upstate, she tilted her head and then unexpectedly blurted out, "No one should be alone right before Christmas, especially in New York. No one. You need to come over after your interview and have dinner with my family." Really? Did this woman just invite me over to have dinner with her family? 

Now that asking may not have struck you as unusual or odd, but it struck me that way. A Texan, in New York, with nothing but a suitcase and hope to find my dream, gets invited by this woman (without her family's consent mind you) from a very different culture, to share in the joy of a meal with her most beloved ones. What an honor to be asked. I was stunned. And you can only imagine my preconceived notion of what my time in New York was going to be like, alone, in a hotel, for my eighth interview. But life is full of surprises. I graciously accepted the offer.

The next night after the interview, I hopped into my car and drove through the streets of Rochester, New York and arrived in this postcard neighborhood. There in the middle of suburbia, I found this uniquely open and warm home, and a gracious family. Our night together was nothing short of magnificent, and filled with such kindness. They allowed this unworthy man to share a meal inside their very amazing and giving house. It was too sweet.

That event occurred twenty-nine years ago in my life this week, and I still remember it as clearly today as I remembered it back then. So why am I telling you the story? Reflecting on Christmas, somehow the message of showing kindness has been lost in so many ways. Oh yes, I acknowledge that there are still some people out there that show such grace, but it just seems that their number is dwindling.

I want to offer a challenge to you, and to me. As you think on this short story tied to my training, I would challenge you to show some random acts of kindness this holiday season. Maybe let a car into traffic (as hard as that may be), say a kind word, pray for a person (even one you may struggle with), take a meal to someone, but consider doing the unexpected without expecting anything in return--just like this family did for me. We should all show more kindness, just as kindness has been shown to us. “We love, because He first loved us.”


I want to thank all of you for the follows on my blog. I am going to take next week off to celebrate Christmas with my family and will be back the first week of January. God bless you all. LP

4 comments:

  1. Blessings to you & the family, Larry--
    thank you for sharing this story!
    I'm so thankful you all eventually landed in the South!
    We are praising the Lord with you for HIS Everlasting Kindness & praying that others will see it reflected in our lives!
    Kathy & Bert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. Hope you all have a blessed Christmas!

      Delete
  2. I, too, am glad that you found your way to South Carolina! I know a large number of GYN cancer survivors who are here today because of your choice to practice in Greenville. We appreciate you so much!
    Merry, Merry Christmas from your friends at the South Carolina Ovarian Cancer Foundation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all you do for the Foundation. I hope you have a blessed Christmas.

      Delete