Pages

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Death and Dying of the Cancer Patient from a Doctor's Perspective

By Larry Puls @Larrypulsauthor

Death and Dying
I stand at the door—afraid. Take a deep breath. Just another room. One I have been in a thousand times before. Inside a bed, a bathroom, an IV pole—a friend. And while I stand there, inside my head resides angst over the unrevealed information. Still frozen in the hallway, I cannot reach out and touch the door handle. It seems so foreboding and ominous, so far away. When I finally attempt the move, a choking feeling ascends in my throat, weakening me—even for a minute. I am paralyzed. You have to go in.

My conscience compels me across the threshold. There she is on the bed, under the covers. The IV pump making its purring sound. She looks so peaceful. I could not find a more difficult way to start the day. Even now, the important words I’m wrestling through remain jumbled in my mind. Please let this cup pass from me. But there are no other volunteers. And why me? I mean really, why me? I guess I should have thought that out already, thirty-seven years ago applying to medical school. But now when I look around, feeling the pressure mount, I see the patient surrounded by an entourage of residents and students looking, no, begging, for some kind of wisdom or insight to do that which screams impossible. Fear owns me.

Somehow, I sit on the side of her bed, guardrail down. I touch her on the shoulder. She turns and smiles at me. My friend. This woman who has won my heart with her bravery, her kindness, her patience, her fortitude. Her sense of humor now pops into my mind. All the laughs we had. All the cries we had. They are all in the front of my eyes as I gaze sadly. You must tell her.

The first words, the easy ones, float delicately from my mouth. I recount all the places we’ve been. Surgery, chemotherapy, surgery again, and back to chemo—a game of leap frog. But those are not options anymore. Those choices simply won’t work… The hard words are now inching up to my mouth, knowing they must come out. But before they escape, something else happens. My eyes speak first. The teardrops fall. I can see she is reading my mind, my anguish, my vacillating heart, through my eyes. I was never good at poker. She knows. I can tell. The secret is out, albeit unspoken, but audible nonetheless. Now it has permeated her mind. I see her start to weep. A cancerous checkmate. The malignant cells grew too smart, too aggressive, too cruel.

The nausea will never cease. Weakness will consume every moment. I know all of this… But how do you tell someone such devastating news? I don’t want to enlighten her—at least not on that subject. I want to bury the needed insights, wishing I was anywhere but here. But this is my job, what I chose to do, my responsibility. Please let this cup pass from me. But the cup remains in my hand. She has the right to final closure.

Finally, real words hover between us. Both sets of our eyes, blurred with the flow of moisture. The verbal truth is on the table. We hug and I tell her what an honor it was to be involved in her life, that she gave me the privilege to share this arduous, complicated road.

I stand, look back at her one more time, and realize this is where life took me. A man, not on the sideline of life, sitting on a bench, watching everything from afar, but one who has been thrust into the trenches too often wrought with sorrow. God has made me engaged. And yes, I struggle with that not uncommonly.

Now the blessing. My broken heart reminds me of the joy of life, the joy of other souls, though sometimes they come packaged with agonizing pain, carving out deep scars—but healthy and needed scars. They tell me life is a gift and by the grace of God, I am allowed to savor that gift.

13 comments:

  1. Dr. Puls, Thank you for putting so much of yourself into your work and now, into your writing -- to share stories and thoughts that will help so many of us each and every day! You have put into words what can be so difficult to even figure out or express. I do appreciate your effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all you do. Thank you for supporting these wonderful women in their battle. LP

      Delete
  2. Dr. Puls has been my Dr. Throughout my journey with stage 3 cancer since April of this year. I am pleased to say I will have my last chemo treatment tomorrow which included all together three treatments followed by surgery and then three more treatments. I am pleased to say I'm doing fantastic which isn't always the case with every patient. I can't begin to imagine what it must be like to have to give someone the news that all has been done that can possibly be done. Doctors are just as human as the patients they serve. They experience emotions just as we do. I want to thank Dr. Puls for all he has done
    for me and for each of his patients. May God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments. I hope you know that I pray for my patients and I am hoping for a great end of treatment report. LP

      Delete
  3. Dr. Puls has been my doctor since I moved to this area 6 years ago. I can't begin to express how much I think of him. He's been with me during the "up" times and "bad" times. He has laughed with me and prayed with me and comforted me. I know God put Dr. Puls in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandra Claire McSherryAugust 24, 2017 at 6:08 PM

    Sweet sweet Dr. Puls! Thank you so much for you words. How amazing that I would find this today on Joy's 53rd birthday! I have witnessed this struggle. I have seen the tears and felt your hands holding on to us when it felt like all the world was slipping into darkness. I remember the first time I saw those shimmering tears when you told JOY the very drug that could bring the best remission caused her to have an allergic reaction. Again, as we packed up for Houston, the tears even flowed. Then there was your book! The Paraneoplastic syndrome had taken her vision so I read it to her through the long waits down in Houston. Finally at home, I read the final chapters to her. I noticed she was in a deep sleep the kind of sleep that only the ravaged body of cancer's victim can sink into in the worst fatigue of life. When she woke, she said, "oh no, I slept through the end". I told her I would read it to her again sometime. We both knew I lied. She knew the ending as much as I did as if she had actually read the pages herself. Seven years ago today we celebrated her birthday for the last time together. We knew it would be our last time after 44 lovely birthdays together. The mere 23 months that separated us in age never seemed more than a minute. I watched as she looked around the room soaking it all in. We all knew this would be her last. How do you celebrate someone's last birthday? What do you say? Just like every other one before with cake, candles, balloons desperately trying to squelch the screaming fear in your soul. Sometimes I wish I had given up hope for just a few minutes. There are things I wish I had said that day that hope would not allow. Then there was the final tears...the final hand holding, the final prayer...the good-bye. She lay on an ambulance stretcher with the "peace that passes all understanding", while I begged you for one more treatment, one more chemo. You took her hand and through your shimmering tears asked, "who would the chemo before?" Your courage and advocacy for JOY was remarkable and inspiring. I chose to step in with you and with her. Hospice came. The days were beautiful. The days were terrible, but we were together. I watched in those final moments as clear yellow urine flowed from the catheter where for hours there had only been crystallized sludge. I watched her breathing change from labored to soft and easy. We caught a glimpse of her healing as she ran into the arms of Jesus. I am so grateful to you Dr. Puls! What a difference you made in the journey for us. I have felt those hands holding mine each year at the SCOCF's purse auction. They are still as comforting and strengthening to me as I continue the long road of missing. I pray blessings beyond measure on you and yours. Gratitude and love to your beautiful bride who so unselfishly continues to lend you to our service. Thanks to your family for interrupted dinners, ballgames, and recitals. I am forever grateful! Continued love and gratitude. "UNTeaL there's a cure"!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. What do I say to that? I, in one sense, understand your anguish. But, in one sense, I can never feel the pain of your loss. Thank you for your honest words. LP

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dr. Plus, this is beautifully, honestly written and I am grateful to have read it. You don't know me. I am an attorney for another academic medical center and cancer institute clear across the country from GHS. Almost 2 years ago, I prayed night and day for a close friend battling ovarian cancer. You were her physician and truly an answer from God to our prayers. Your treatment was a wonderful success. I like everything I know about you as a surgical oncologist and a human being. I am forever grateful to you. I am truly blessed by your writing. Kent

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dr Puls, on this 10 year ovarian cancer discovery anniverary I found your blog....what an awesome surprise!!! Ten years ago today I never dreamt I would wake up from surgery with someone telling me I had ovarian cancer. You were not in the room at the time, but with the room filled with family and friends (because my sweet husband thought they needed to be there) the first words that came from my mouth was " God is in control". I still carrying that "Mind thought". For the last 10 years you have been an inspiration to me. You have always met me with a smiling face and always willing to give me time to talk. I'm now on your yearly plan and feeluing so very blessed. Becasue God put you in my path 10 years ago and with his healing hands I have seen two of our children marry and have been blessed to see an addional 7 grand childen come into the world. God has truly blessed me by putting you in my life....Thank you for all you do not only for me but for all outhere that are fighting this awfuf thing we call cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for writing. It is a great honor in my life to be able to help people like yourself. LP

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dr. Puls, I had to go back and reread this after finding out who it was about. I treasure all of your memories and appreciate the care you give all of your patients, that's what makes you such a great doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "There is a time for living and a time for dying"...I remember that day you described above as it were yesterday. After 5 1/2 years of fighting this cancer, it was time to face the end of a beautiful journey, one that included the many years we spent together and a husband witnessing the beautiful friendship and love that had grown between the two of you. I could never find adequate words to thank you enough for the incredible care you gave Jill. She left me with such beautiful life memories and two wonderful children that I see her legacy in each and every day. You are and always will be the most awesome doctor that I have ever known ! Those words are from the both of us. Thanks again for all that you do and the continued support you give to all of your patients. You truly are a Blessing.

    ReplyDelete